This project is 86% complete.
Projected date of completion for the Florence Ave. Bridge and Project: Late *June 2020. Early winter rains caused more delays.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
At the time of this update, construction on this project will continue.
The following closures are tentatively scheduled to pour concrete on the second segment of the second half of the bridge:
From 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 8 until 6 a.m. Thursday, April 9 –
The northbound I-605 connector to southbound I-5 will be closed.
- Detour: exit northbound I-605 at Imperial Highway eastbound. Turn south on frontage road along I-5 to on ramp.
The Florence Ave. Bridge will be closed over I-5 between Studebaker Rd. and Orr & Day Rd.
- Open: eastbound Florence Ave. turn onto southbound Studebaker Rd. Northbound Studebaker Rd. turn onto westbound Florence Ave.
- Open: westbound Florence Ave. turn onto northbound Orr & Day Rd. Southbound Orr & Day Rd. turn onto eastbound Florence Ave.
Detours signs will be in place. Detours are:
- Eastbound Florence Ave. to southbound Studebaker Rd. to eastbound Imperial Highway. Turn south on frontage road along I-5 to on ramp.
- Westbound Florence Ave. to northbound Orr & Day Rd. to westbound Telegraph Rd. to I-5 or I-605.
All closures are subject to cancellation due to rain.
Workers are constructing a mat of rebar along the soffit and outer stem walls of the segment of the second half of the bridge west of I-5. The two segments are now connected.
Photos below from April 1:
Aerial drone photos from March 16, below:
Video below from March 3 and March 24:
Photos below from March 24:
Photos of second segment of second half of bridge below from December 31, 2019 through March 24, 2020:
Photos of first segment of second half of bridge below from December 31, 2019 through February 25, 2020:
Beams were been placed to connect the two segments of the second half of the bridge over lanes of I-5. Video of the “falsework” below from February 18:
Photos below from February 18:
Crews have nearly completed new lanes on the west side of I-5 between I-605 and the Florence Ave. Bridge.
Videos below from March 3 and March 24:
Photos below from March & March 24:
Photos below from December 3, 2019 through March 24, 2020:
The Florence Ave. on ramp to northbound I-5, and the Florence Ave. off ramp from northbound I-5 will all remain closed until the second half of the Florence Ave. Bridge is complete. This is per request by the cities of Downey and Santa Fe Springs, to minimize traffic congestion until the three additional bridge lanes are provided to handle the increase in vehicles. Construction of the second half of the bridge is underway.