This project is 93% complete.
Projected date of opening for the northbound I-5 Florence Ave. on and off ramps is extended to * Late April 2021.
Projected date of opening for the southbound I-5 Florence Ave. on ramp is extended to *Late April of 2021.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
- Work on the Florence Avenue on ramp to southbound I-5 is almost complete. A replacement for a piece of equipment called an Audio Pedestrian Signal is on order and must be installed before we can open the ramp. We expect to open the ramp by April 23. (Yellow arrow in photo below).
- Still to complete: Installation of safety posts & signs at Dollison Drive cul-de-sacs at I-5 and Studebaker Road and at Dollison Drive and Fairford Drive.
- The city of Downey will be installing two more light standards at the Dollison Drive cul-de-sac east of Fairford Ave.
*Update: The new I-5 (Santa Ana Freeway) northbound Florence Avenue on and off ramps in Santa Fe Springs remain closed to traffic. The Florence Avenue on ramp to northbound I-5 remains closed. The Florence Avenue off ramp from northbound I-5 remains closed.
The ramps were expected to open the morning of Thursday, April 15, but complications with the signal controller could not be resolved despite consistent efforts throughout the day. The opening of the northbound ramps has been delayed until the week of April 22. The southbound loop on ramp is expected to open during the week of April 25.
The Florence Avenue on ramp to northbound I-5 . (Blue arrow in photo below). The Florence Avenue off ramp from northbound I-5. (Green arrow in photo below). The Florence Avenue on ramp to southbound I-5. (Yellow arrow below).
New ramp signs were installed along Florence Ave. for the new on ramp to northbound I-5 on Thursday, April 15. Photo and video below:
Photos below from April 15:
On northbound I-5 there are now four all-purpose traffic lanes on I-5 from north of Valley View Ave. to the Florence Ave. Bridge. Then there are three all purpose lanes, plus two auxiliary lanes connecting to the northbound and southbound I-605. Under the I-605 Bridge, I-5 reverts to four all-purpose lanes, plus a fifth auxiliary lane connecting traffic from I-605 to I-5. Then it reduces again to four all-purpose lanes.
On southbound I-5 there are now five lanes where traffic merges from the I-605 interchange until the Orr & Day railroad overhead. Then it changes to four all-purpose lanes until south of Alondra Boulevard, where it reduces to three lanes approaching the Valley View Avenue interchange project that remains under construction until mid-2022.
When the Valley View Avenue Project is complete in mid-2022, we will open the additional car pool / HOV (High Occupanncy Vehicle) lanes to traffic. At that time:
- On northbound I-5 there will be an HOV lane from Valley View Ave. to the Orr & Day railroad overhead.
- On southbound I-5 there will be an HOV lane from south of the Florence Ave. Bridge to Valley View Ave.
Aerial video & photos below:
Photos of new striping on I-5 at Florence Avenue and on Florence Ave. ramps at I-5 below: