This project is 92% complete.
Projected date of opening for the Florence Ave. Bridge and on and off ramps extended to *November 2020.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
The contractor has extended the opening date for the Florence Avenue interchange to early to mid-November to complete the following work:
- Construction of the median traffic barrier on I-5 south and north of the bridge.
- Final shifting of freeway traffic lanes.
- Final shoulder and drainage work along the freeway.
- Shifting of traffic lanes on the bridge to allow construction of the median between the east end of the bridge and Orr & Day and between the west end of the bridge and Studebaker Road.
- Pouring of final 2-inch rubberized asphalt on the roadway surface between the east end of the bridge and Orr & Day and between the west end of the bridge and Studebaker Road.
- Installation of traffic sensor loops below the roadway surface and installation of a traffic signal at Orr & Day.
*Update: Scheduled to be closed for final asphalt paving the nights of Tuesday, November 3;Wednesday, November 4, and, if necessary, Thursday, October 5 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
Florence Avenue from Studebaker Road to Orr & Day.
Traffic on westbound Florence Avenue will be detoured northbound on Orr & Day to Telegraph Road. There will be no access to Florence Avenue from southbound Orr & Day.
Traffic on eastbound Florence Avenue will be detoured to southbound Studebaker Road.
Fairford Avenue will be closed from Florence Ave. to Dollison Drive.
Residents in the area should expect loud noise from trucks and equipment. Map below:
Aerial view of Florence Ave. Bridge, new freeway lanes, new median barrier, new northbound on ramp, new northbound off ramp, and new southbound on ramp. Video below:
Aerial view of new freeway lanes and new median traffic barrier south of bridge. Video below:
Aerial view of Florence Avenue interchange below. Center: Florence Ave. Bridge (before lane shift). Green arrows: completed concrete barrier in median of new traffic lanes. Orange arrows: new loop on ramp to southbound I-5. Red arrow: new off ramp from northbound I-5. Blue arrow: new on ramp to northbound I-5.
On the night of Thursday, October 8 westbound traffic lanes on Florence Avenue were shifted to the outside of the bridge. This will allow the contractor to construct a traffic barrier in the median; pour 2″ asphalt paving at each end of the bridge at Orr & Day and at Studebaker Road; and install a traffic signal at Orr & Day. Photos below from the morning of Friday, October 9:
Aerial photos below from before lane shift, October 8:
The contractor has completed constructing a traffic barrier rail in the median of I-5 from north of Imperial Highway under the bridge to I-605. Video below from October 7:
The Florence Ave. on ramp to northbound I-5, and the Florence Ave. off ramp from northbound I-5 will all remain closed until the second half of the Florence Ave. Bridge is complete. This is per request by the cities of Downey and Santa Fe Springs, to minimize traffic congestion until the three additional bridge lanes are provided to handle the increase in vehicles. Construction of the second half of the bridge is underway.