The following work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise noted. The schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change. For an overview of this project, please see: http://my5la.com/magnolia-boulevard-to-buena-vista-street
➤ Construction Activities
Burbank Street Repair and Improvements (see map below): At multiple locations in Burbank along the I-5 corridor, crews have completed new asphalt overlay on streets and completed construction of new curb and gutter. Crews are continuing construction of curb ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and installation of lane striping on new asphalt overlay. Locations are shown in the map below.
- Curb and gutter construction on San Fernando Boulevard between Lincoln Street and Ontario Street; Victory Place between Old Empire Avenue and Maria Street; Victory Place between Empire Avenue and the Burbank Animal Shelter north of Lake Street; Verdugo Avenue at the I-5 bridge; and Bonnywood Place between Providencia Avenue and Santa Anita Avenue/Bonnywood Place.
- Pavement grinding and new asphalt overlay on San Fernando Boulevard northwest of Buena Vista Street; San Fernando Boulevard southeast of Buena Vista Street; Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and the Northbound I-5 on-ramp; Buena Vista Street south of San Fernando Boulevard; San Fernando Boulevard between Grismer Avenue and the Northbound I-5 ramps; Empire Avenue between Maria Street and Keystone Street; Victory Place between Old Empire Avenue and Maria Street; Victory Place south of Old Empire Avenue; Verdugo Avenue at the I-5 bridge; and Alameda Avenue from east of the Northbound I-5 ramps to west of the Southbound I-5 ramps.
- ADA-compliant curb ramps on San Fernando Boulevard at Buena Vista Street; and on Empire Avenue at Valpreda Street.
- Some but not all of the work will be done at night.
- At least one lane in each direction will be open for traffic on city streets where this work is underway.
- This list does not include all scheduled improvements.
- See map below:
In addition to the above, the following construction activities are ongoing:
I-5 at Burbank Boulevard: Crews are working at the Burbank Boulevard interchange and in the I-5 median. Some work may occur at night.
Northbound I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street: Crews are installing signs, traffic detector loops and lane striping. Some work occurs at night. The Northbound I-5 High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV, or carpool) lane is scheduled to open soon. The Southbound I-5 HOV lane is open between Buena Vista Street and Magnolia Boulevard, as shown below:
Northbound I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Burbank Boulevard: Crews are constructing fencing.
I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street: Crews are constructing electrical systems. Some work occurs at night.
I-5 between SR-134 (Ventura Freeway) and Buena Vista Street: Crews are planting landscaping.
I-5 between Burbank Boulevard and Empire Avenue: Crews are sealing joints. Work may occur at night and during the day.
Victory Place at Old Empire Avenue: Crews are installing traffic signals.
➤ Closures and Detours
Northbound and Southbound I-5 Lane Closures: Intermittent northbound and southbound I-5 lane closures may occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., at times reducing I-5 to one or two lanes in either direction.
*** Special Announcement for August 15-18, 2022: Multiple lanes on Northbound I-5 and Southbound I-5 will be closed at night beginning on Monday night, August 15, through Thursday night, August 18, between Alameda Avenue and Hollywood Way. At least one lane will stay open for traffic in both directions, and all lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. each morning. The schedule is subject to change. Here is the current schedule for these closures:
Monday Night, Aug. 15, 2022
On Northbound I-5 between Empire Avenue and Hollywood Way: One lane will be closed at 9 p.m.; two lanes closed at 10 p.m.; and three lanes closed at midnight, leaving only one lane open for northbound traffic. Starting at 4 a.m. two lanes will be open; at 5 a.m., three lanes open; and at 6 a.m. all lanes will be open.
Tuesday Night, Aug. 16, 2022
On Northbound I-5 between the Olive Avenue Off-Ramp and Empire Avenue: One lane will be closed at 9 p.m.; two lanes closed at 10 p.m.; and three lanes closed at midnight, leaving only one lane open for northbound traffic. Starting at 4 a.m. two lanes will be open; at 5 a.m., three lanes open; and at 6 a.m. all lanes will be open.
Wednesday Night, Aug. 17, 2022
Southbound I-5 between Empire Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard: Two or more lanes on Southbound I-5 will be closed after 9 p.m. and the Verdugo Avenue Off-Ramp will be closed. There may be lane closures elsewhere on Southbound I-5 and Northbound I-5.
*** Also Please Note: The Southbound I-5 Verdugo Avenue Off-Ramp will be closed at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, August 17. The off-ramp will reopen by 5 a.m. but the schedule is subject to change due to operational issues. Commuters who use the Downtown Burbank Metrolink Station are advised to be aware of this planned closure and allow extra travel time on the morning of Thursday, August 18, 2022. A detour will be posted when the ramp is closed.
Thursday Night, Aug. 18, 2022: There may be closures, if needed, on Southbound I-5 and Northbound I-5 between Magnolia Boulevard and Hollywood Way.
(This is the end of the Special Announcement for August 15-18. Please also see the following notifications about construction in this area.)
Northbound and Southbound I-5 Ramp Closures: Some I-5 off-ramps and on-ramps may be closed during the day or at night. Detours are provided.
Street Lane Closures: Intermittent street lane closures may occur during the day or at night on Burbank Boulevard, San Fernando Boulevard, Front Street, Victory Place, Empire Avenue, Old Empire Avenue, Buena Vista Street, Bonnywood Place, Verdugo Avenue, Alameda Avenue and other streets.
The schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change.