INTERSTATE 5 CLOSED BETWEEN STATE ROUTE 170 (HOLLYWOOD FREEWAY) AND STATE ROUTE 134 (VENTURA FREEWAY) FROM 2 P.M. APRIL 25 THROUGH 2 A.M. APRIL 27Download I-5 Burbank Closure Flyer.pdf
Interstate 5 will be closed for 36 hours in Burbank, Glendale and the Sun Valley area of the city of Los Angeles, while crews demolish the Burbank Boulevard bridge over I-5. The freeway will be closed to traffic in both directions from 2 p.m. April 25 (Saturday) to 2 a.m. April 27 (Monday).
A detailed schedule is below, under the map. Dates and times are subject to change.
Southbound I-5 will be closed at State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway). Southbound traffic will use southbound State Route 170 to eastbound State Route 134 to southbound I-5. Other freeway routes are available and are very highly recommended.
Northbound I-5 will be closed at State Route 134 (the Ventura Freeway). Northbound traffic will use westbound SR-134 to northbound SR-170 **OR** eastbound SR-134 to northbound SR-2 to westbound I-210 to northbound I-5. Other freeway routes are available and are very highly recommended.
Motorists are strongly advised to plan ahead and avoid traveling on I-5 in or near the affected area starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 25, until after 6 a.m. on Monday, April 27.
City streets will be open to traffic in Burbank, Glendale and the Sun Valley area of Los Angeles, but drivers are urged to use other freeways whenever possible and refrain from detouring on city streets when feasible.
The full freeway closure on I-5 will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 25, but beginning at 10 a.m. crews will start closing ramps and freeway connectors in the area.
The full closure on I-5 will end by 2 a.m. Monday, April 27, and all ramps and freeway connectors will open by 6 a.m. Monday, April 27.
All dates and times are subject to change.Download I-5 Burbank Closure Flyer.pdf
Please see the detailed schedule below, under the map.
Above: The area of Interstate 5 (the Golden State Freeway) shown above in red is scheduled to be closed to traffic between 2 p.m. Saturday, April 25, 2020, and 2 a.m. Monday, April 27, 2020. All dates and times are subject to change.
Schedule of Closures (subject to change):
- All lanes on Northbound I-5 will be closed at State Route 134 (the Ventura Freeway). Signs will direct drivers to use other routes. Northbound I-5 will be open north of Burbank Boulevard including northbound on-ramps and off-ramps.
- All lanes on Southbound I-5 will be closed at State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway). Signs will direct drivers to use other routes. Southbound I-5 will be open south of Verdugo Avenue, including southbound on-ramps and off-ramps.
- The I-5 full closure will start at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 25. Crews will start closing individual ramps and freeway connectors at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 25.
- The I-5 full closure will end by 2 a.m. Monday, April 27. Ramps and freeway connectors will open by 6 a.m. Monday.
- Dates and times are subject to change.
- Drivers are strongly advised to make plans to use alternative freeway routes during the 36-hour closure and avoid using I-5 in Burbank, Glendale and the Sun Valley area of Los Angeles.
Motorists have been traveling at near free-flow condition at all hours due to the COVID-19 “Stay At Home” order. However, due to this full closure of I-5, drivers should plan their essential travel on the weekend of April 25-26 and allow more time throughout the Los Angeles region. Due to alternate route usage, these recent free-flow conditions will be interrupted and congestion may occur on some routes.
- NEW: Street access to the Burbank Downtown Amtrak/Metrolink/bus station at 201 North Front Street will be from the north, via Burbank Boulevard, during the demolition operation. This is a change from a previous plan which said station access will be from the south via Verdugo Avenue. Due to construction, Verdugo Avenue is blocked at I-5 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on weekdays and from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on weekends. There may be traffic delays on local streets due to I-5 construction, so please allow extra time when traveling to or from the station.
- Additional updated information will be available at the project website, My5LA.com and on Twitter @My5LA
- Highway closure information is available at QuickMap.dot.ca.gov
- Note: An earlier version of this traffic advisory included information about lane closures scheduled to start at 10 p.m. Friday, April 24, on Southbound I-5 between Buena Vista Street and Burbank Boulevard; however, the Friday night lane closures are CANCELED.
On March 5, 2020, Caltrans announced the planned I-5 full closure at a news conference and released the following statement. Since March, the planned starting and ending times changed slightly due to operational reasons. The schedule is dynamic and all dates and times are subject to change.