Construction on this project is 50% complete.
Completion of first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Open to traffic Monday, October 7, 2019.
Completion of second half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Revised to *late 2021.
Firestone Blvd. reverts to two lanes in each direction at Valley View Ave.: End of 2021.
I-5 Valley View Ave. Interchange projected date of completion: Revised to *End of 2021.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
We opened a new FOURTH freeway lane to traffic on northbound I-5 from Alondra Blvd. to the Orr & Day railroad overhead north of Imperial Highway. At that point, it narrows back down to three lanes. After completion of the Florence Ave. interchange, the northbound fourth lane will extend almost to to I-605. Map below:
In the next few weeks we will paint striping and open a fourth lane on the southbound side of I-5 from the Orr & Day railroad overhead north of Imperial Highway all the way to the Orange county line, where we will match the number of freeway lanes
Valley View Ave. re-opened to through-traffic between Artesia Blvd. and Alondra Blvd. at approximately 5:30 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 7. Caltrans and our contractors thank everyone for their patience and cooperation while we made improvements along the avenue.
The changes include:
1. The opening of the first half of the new Valley View Ave. Bridge crossing over I-5. There is one lane open to traffic in each direction. We plan to open a second southbound lane (for a total of three lanes) by the end of the year.
2. There is also a new pedestrian walkway on the west side of Valley View Ave. crossing over the bridge. Video below from Oct. 7:
3. Arbor Place is now open to two-way traffic with a signal permitting turns in all directions. Video below from Oct. 7:
4. Large trucks and big rigs are now permitted to make turns in all directions at the intersection of Valley View Ave. and N. Firestone Blvd. with traffic signal control. Video below from Oct. 7:
New restrictions include:
1. Access from Valley View Ave. to S. Firestone Blvd. (just north of the railroad tracks) is now permanently closed. However, S. Firestone Blvd. remains open to traffic between Marquardt Ave. and Artesia Blvd.
2. The Valley View on-ramp to southbound I-5 from S. Firestone Blvd. is now closed as we add new lanes to the freeway.
3. For the business complex east of Valley View Ave. and north of Park Place, one of the two-way access driveways closed. However, a new road has been constructed to allow one-way traffic to exit the complex on the north end to access Arbor Place.
4. “Old” Valley View Ave. is now closed from the south end of the Valley View Ave. Bridge to the north end. The existing half of the old bridge is closed so that we may demolish and reconstruct it. Traffic on Valley View Ave. is now traversing the first half of the new bridge.
For .pdf file click here: Valley View After Map
On the future Valley View off ramp from southbound I-5, the final layer of concrete has been poured and is curing under moist tarps. Video below from Oct. 7:
Photos below from June 11 through October 7:
The contractor has completed constructing abutment walls inside the creek bed for the new Coyote Creek Bridge west of I-5 and is constructing the abutment walls above the creek. Video below from Oct. 7:
Photos below from August 13 through October 7 :