Weekly Construction and Closure Updates
- I-5 NORTH Construction Advisory – SR-134 to Buena Vista Street, January 17-24, 2020
- Burbank Blvd Bridge Closing
- Downtown Burbank - January 14 and 21, 2020
- I-5 Lanes Reduced in Burbank for Pavement Construction
- 6th Annual I-5 Widening Project Community Open House
- I-5 Empire Interchange Opening
- Improving traffic circulation along the I-5 corridor
- Encouraging carpooling
- Enhancing air quality
- Reducing freeway noise in adjacent neighborhoods
- Enhancing safety
- Revitalizing our I-5 community
Improvement: One HOV/carpool lane in each direction.
Schedule: Construction started in 2011
Completion: Early 2020
Cost: $116 million
Providencia Avenue Girder Erection Operation, night of Sept. 15, 2016
The night of September 15, 2016, crews erected and bolted 110-foot steel girders to the Providencia Avenue bridge in Burbank. The work is part of a month-long operation that is widening the bridge to accommodate the new carpool lanes on I-5. More information is here.
In this video, Caltrans Resident Engineer James Shih provides a construction update on the I-5 HOV project between SR-134 and Magnolia Boulevard. The project is widening I-5 to add 2.7 miles of carpool lanes in each direction. Other improvements include widening bridges, constructing new on- and off-ramps at the southbound Western Avenue interchange, enhancing sound walls, and upgrading the storm water drainage system. To enhance public safety, a pedestrian walkway is being constructed near Verdugo Avenue.
The Golden State Freeway (I-5) is being widened to add 2.7 miles of carpool lanes in each direction between the Ventura Freeway (SR-134) and Magnolia Boulevard in the cities of Burbank and Glendale.
Freeway improvements include widening bridges, constructing new on- and off-ramps at the southbound Western Avenue interchange, enhancing soundwalls and upgrading the storm water drainage system. To enhance public safety, a pedestrian walkway will be constructed near Verdugo Avenue.